Feminism

I am a feminist
I believe in the emancipation of the female sex. I believe in empowering women to be their best selves. I believe in letting women choose their own unique path to happiness and contentment.
I am not superhuman. I am not more than a man, or mentally and physically superior to my male counterparts.
You see, I never thought of myself as a feminist in the traditional sense. In fact, I am ignorant in the field of Feminist theories and  can only name a couple prominent figures in the modern or even ancient feminist movement.
However, I have been reading quotes from Chimamanda Adichie's feminist manifesto, and i find myself agreeing with almost every statement. I am beginning to realize that while I have always stayed away from openly discussing my views or calling myself a feminist. I am a FEMINIST.
As a Nigerian woman, I grew up with daily reminders that my place was that of a carer and homemaker. My earliest memories of my socialization into the role of a woman involves my mother screaming my name, beckoning me to stop playing soccer with the boys and proceed to the Kitchen where I was to be taught the art of cooking Nigerian delicacies. I remember thinking, why do I have to be stuck in the kitchen when all I want to do is play soccer and fight with the boys.
My mother though, was what I would call a traditional Nigerian woman with a dash of modern feminism. She would always say " you should never be dependent on any man.You have to focus and work hard at school. You have to grow to be an independent woman. A woman who can cater for her needs and the needs of her off spring".
My mother and many like her faced a paradigm, they lived in a society that championed the role of a woman as a home maker but also encouraged the education of the female child. They were taught that a real woman is a woman that works a 9-5, 5 days a week and flourishes in the role of a homemaker. They were encouraged to be equal partners in providing for the family, but also to cook 3-course meals every single day, cater to the needs of their kids and husbands and maintain a pristine home.
Feminism in this sense tells women to do what a man does and even more. Women are taught that they are super humans, and our pedigree is measured on how well we effectively juggle the role of a full-time professional and full-time home maker. This type of feminism is hurting millions of women all over the world. The feminism that does not also call on men to partner with the ladies in making the home a home. The feminism that does not educate our boys that women are just as human as they are and that a wife is not synonymous with a slave.
I am a feminist, I believe in affording equal economic, educational and commercial opportunities to women and men. I do not believe in championing the woman as a super human being. I am not super human, a feminist yes, a professional, a wife, a mother, a life partner but I will never aspire to be the perfect African woman.

Comments

Popular Posts